Green Stormwater Infrastructure
Operation and Maintenance Course
The first course took place over three days in August and September 2015. Check back for Summer/Fall 2016 dates, to be announced soon. This three-day course is for landscape professionals seeking to strengthen or develop their service portfolio in operations and maintenance of public and private green stormwater infrastructure projects. The course features two classroom days and one field day, and will provide landscape contractors with an understanding of the importance of operations and maintenance (O+M) of vegetated stormwater management practices, as well as of the tasks involved. The course will cover 16 sections in total, including: Regulatory context for O+M; Identification and understanding of the components of SMP’s; Diagnosis of and response to performance and safety issues; Adaptive and prescriptive management activities.
The Navy Yard – Villanova Engineering 4775 League Island Blvd. Philadelphia, PA 19112
Contact: Anna Shipp – (215) 605-1824
Instruction Team and Guest Speakers*:
- Lee Armillei, AOLCP, Landscape Designer and Project Supervisor, GreenWeaver Landscapes
- Jim Baney, Director of Field Operations, AKRF
- Bill Fisher, AIA, LEED-AP, Senior Project Manager, Liberty Property Trusts
- Eric Carter, Planting Foreman, David Brothers Landscape Services and Native Plant Nursery
- Kevin Flynn, P.E., LEED-AP, Technical Director, AKRF
- Mark Highland, President, The Organic Mechanics Soil Company
- Kevin Magerr, P.E., EPA Region III and adjunct Professor at Temple University
- Lia Mastropolo, Senior Environmental Planner, AKRF
- Sue Mrugal, Adjunct Professor at Temple University’s School of Environmental Design
- Jonathan Nuss, Sales/Design, David Brothers Landscape Services and Native Plant Nursery
- Andrew Stathos, P.E., Pennoni Associates
- Sarah Stevenson, Director of Enforcement, Philadelphia Water
- Art Wawiernia, Senior Water Resources Engineer, AKRF
- Andrea Welker, Ph.D., Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Villanova University
- Carmen Zappile, AICP, Vice President for Planning and Project Management, Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation
- Alden Zove, President, Cedar Run Landscapes
$350 per person
The GSI Partners’ Continuing Education Grants will be available to members interested in taking this course. Apply for a grant here.
4 Accredited Organic Land Care Professional (AOLCP) CEUs
All participants will receive a Certificate of Completion, which can be used to request credit from other professional organizations.
Additional Information: Course Syllabus (PDF)
This course was developed by the Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI) Partners, an initiative of the Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia. AKRF was contracted to create the course content. The GSI Partners received technical and logistics support from our leadership team, composed of faculty from Villanova and Temple Universities, as well as staff from the Environmental Protection Agency, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, David Brothers Landscape Services and Native Plant Nursery, and Blue Heron Environmental Services.
Course developed in partnership with: